Heart of Avalon

Your Community Gateway to Healthy Sustainable Living

Home Forums Interpersonal Relationships How to be a Better Friend Expressing approval: a tip I found in an article

• Expressing approval: a tip I found in an article

• Kaia Kailani

Administrator
    January 29, 2021 at 7:03 pm

I was reading an article recently on how to be a better friend. And one point really struck me. It seems obvious, but I personally never thought about this. It is basically about us humans wanting to be liked and approved of. We try to impress the people we meet. And we will keep trying until they either do, or we get tired and give up. So this is what the article has to say:

“All of this can be avoided if people would just express approval in the early stages of connection. It doesn’t have to be anything profound. A very simple, “Hey, I really like you, and I enjoy your company a great deal. We should spend more time together,” will do just nicely.”

I don’t know why this seems so advanced. But I guess I often feel that I don’t want to impose by suggesting a hang out with someone just because I like them… Well, according to this article the other person just might reciprocate 🙂

I don’t know… Sounds a little scary. I’ll report back once I try it :):):)

https://www.lifehack.org/articles/communication/10-ways-better-friend.html

• Paul++

Administrator
    February 1, 2021 at 6:09 pm

That is some very nice insight. It is true: people want to feel appreciated. The art of noticing what others are doing (in any kind of relationship) and being able to express (sincere!) appreciation does go a long way!

• Kaia Kailani

Administrator
    February 4, 2021 at 8:15 pm

Exactly! I don’t know why it seemed like such a revelation to me 🙂 Seems very common sense. And yes just saying to someone “I like you” in a non-romantic context feels… out of the ordinary…

Viewing 1 - 3 of 3 posts

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now